Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Reinventing myself in mid-life. . .

Researchers tell us that this is what we do; we reinvent ourselves because naturally life changes after mid-life. Not only do we get old, but we loose roles we’ve had for a long time (Mom or Dad) and gain new ones we may or may not be prepared for (Mother-in-law, Grandmother).

Some of us do this very well and a great deal of interest (along with several articles) is emerging about how we “boomers” will reinvent not only ourselves but the meaning of retirement.

In my case, I will strive to be as creative as possible, but I have a sense that the economic realities of life will play a much greater part in the direction I take than will my sense of adventure, freedom or wanderlust.

So far, I’ve been going about my reinvention in a very pragmatic way.

  • I came back to pediatrics (where I really have not practiced in over 25 years). This returning to my practice “roots” is not something I ever intended to do but the opportunity that presented itself was too good to resist.
  • I went back to school. Learning has been a life-long endeavor and something I truly love. That said learning in mid-life and in a new century is not so easy. I am surrounded by fellow students who are far more energetic who and have well honed skills for the technological demands of higher education today! I alas, do not.
  • I married (again), something I thought I would never do. But his son was about to have a son and I simply didn’t want to be known as “Grandpa’s squeeze” – I wanted the title, Grandma.
  • I bought a new house! Something I have not done in nearly 30 years. I’ve lived in all kinds of homes but I wanted a new house and in mid-life I found one, customized just for me. I expect I will be there for quite a while!
  • I consolidated my retirement monies and now only have two main financial repositories for my IRAs and my 401 K. Naturally, when you’re as old as I am there are bound to be little bits of money here and there (I think I have a pension with about $200 in it!), but now, two phone calls or a visit to two websites and I know where I stand (or perhaps, fall).
  • I started to write. Not that I have not always had a love for words and some hopes about writing, but now I set aside time to do it. I go to classes and discussion groups to improve my writing. I look for opportunities to have my work critiqued.

However, I know I’m not done. There are things I need to do that I haven’t gotten to yet. Certainly, a portion of that is procrastination. Another portion is surely a choice about where I will spend my time and with whom.

So what’s left? These things for sure:

  • I must commit to regular exercise. I need both strength training and cardio if I am to head into old age with a sense of wellness and wellbeing.
  • I must de-clutter. Everywhere I turn I see the burden of postponed decisions – debris in every corner of my life and space. It is time to really clean house (physically and metaphorically).
  • I must live consciously. I have no more time for the anesthesia of hurry and over-booking. I want no more running from hither to yon, I want to walk, listen to the breeze in the trees, smell the flowers, and hear the birds. I want to revel in the richness of life and relationships, not merely rush on by. I want to enjoy the journey – whether I get to the destination or not!

So, that’s enough. I think if I live long enough to do all that, I’ll be able to sit down and craft a new list. I can’t imaging running out of “things to do” but I want very much to make my focus not just what I do, but who I am being and becoming for this second half of life!

    No comments: